Journey Through the Quran 2019 (QSG)
Saturday 18 May 2019 ,[London, United Kingdom]Venue or Event Address : Birkbeck College, Malet St, London WC1E 7HX
13th annual JOURNEY THROUGH THE QURAN Course: Ramadan 2020:
Quran Study Group presents its
12th annual ‘Journey Through the Quran 2019’ Course
By the pioneer of this course and delivered by him at Birkbeck College since 2008
Dates: Sat 11 May- Sun 12 May & Sat 18 May- Sun 19 May 2019
Times: 9.30am- 5.30pm
Tutor: Hafiz Abdullah Muhammad LLB (Hons), PGCE, MA *
Venue: Birkbeck College (University of London), Malet St, London WC1E 7HX
Cost: Only £60
Earlybird (before 21 April): £50
The course will give an overview of the structure, themes and guidance contained in each of the 114 chapters of the Noble Qur’an. In particular, we will be looking at
- how Surah names are related to each Surah and the historical contexts of their revelation (Asbab al-Nuzul);
- the inter-textual relationship and coherence (Nazm) between verses of each Surah and the relationship with preceding / following Surahs;
- cross-referencing to other parts of the Qur’an in order to demonstrate how the “Qur’an explains the Qur’an”;
- explanation of key passages in each chapter; practical guidance and lessons that can be derived from each Surah.
- We will also be discussing linguistic and stylistic devices (Balaghah) used in the Qur’an, and some of the problems with translation and having alternative plausible interpretations.
No prior knowledge of Arabic or Islam required.
queries, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Hafiz Abdullah Muhammad studied in an Islamic School and also memorised the Qur’an by heart. He is a trained RE teacher and lawyer, and studied postgraduate Islamic Studies at SOAS and Al-Azhar University. He is the author of ‘The Best of Times in Islam’ (2002) and pioneered the annual Ramadan Course 'Journey Through the Quran' Course (JTQ) which he has delivered at Birkbeck College since 2008.